Despite the government’s efforts to discourage people from smoking, a lot of Filipinos worldwide are still addicted to cigarettes. In a 2009 survey of the Global Adult Tobacco Survey, more than 17 million people in the Philippines are smoking cigarettes. Although they are aware of the bad effects of cigarettes on the body, some people find it difficult to quit this addiction.
If you’re one of those people who wants to say goodbye to smoking forever, then you came to the right place. Today, let Dr. Willie Ong show you how you can effectively quit this deadly habit.
As stated by our “Doktor ng Bayan,” quitting smoking is easier said than done. Before embarking on the journey of clean living, one must be completely dedicated and determined to end this habit. Today, our trusted doctor listed these 8 tips that might help you quit smoking:
1. Find something that will motivate you. Whether it’s your family or health, having a motivation will make the process easier.
2. Avoid temptation. As much as possible, try avoiding other smokers for a while. Also, avoid carrying cigarettes or a lighter in your pocket. This will greatly reduce your chance of being tempted to smoke again.
3. Have a clear timeline. Focus your mind on a single goal that should be achieved within a specific period of time. This will help you track your progress.
4. Get ready for withdrawal symptoms. There is an onslaught of withdrawal symptoms that you will experience after quitting smoking, especially if you go cold-turkey (quitting immediately). Your body isn’t used to the absence of nicotine, hence why you will be feeling these sudden changes.
5. Focus your energy on other productive habits. Diverting your attention on other important things will help you quit your addiction easier.
6. Take it slow. If you can’t quit right away, then limit yourself to one stick of cigarette a day. You’ll eventually notice your cravings diminish day by day.
7. Seek support from your loved ones. Quitting is never an easy process, that’s why you need all the help you can get. Don’t hesitate to seek support and guide from your friends and family.
8. Try chewing nicotine gum as an alternative. You can ask your doctor or local pharmacy more details about this alternative.
Do you know someone who is also trying to quit smoking? Share this article with them to help them out! For more updates on the latest health tips, feel free to follow us on Facebook.