Have you ever experienced painful leg cramps? That tightness you feel when you are sitting, standing, or even sleeping is caused by sudden muscle contraction that can happen in your leg or calves. Although leg cramps rarely lead to any serious medical condition, recurrent cramps can become a hindrance to a person’s day to day activities.
Since many people are suffering from cramps, Dr. Willie Ong discussed this issue in one of his informational videos. According to our trusted ‘Doktor ng Bayan,’ there are several factors that can cause cramps. Among them are dehydration, low levels of potassium, tense/stiff muscles, poor circulation, and vitamin deficiency.
Now, let’s move on to the steps you can take to relieve the pain from leg cramps. You can share the following tips with your friends or loved ones who are also experiencing painful leg cramps:
- As much as possible, avoid backbreaking and strenuous exercises. When you hit the gym, wear proper gym clothing and nicely-fitted rubber shoes.
- Whenever you are experiencing muscle tightness, you can perform several stretching exercises to relieve the pain. Refer to the video below for the steps.
- Dr. Willie Ong also advises taking hot baths to relieve muscle tension in the affected area.
- Avoid not moving for a long period of time, such as sitting or standing for too long. If you can, try moving or walking every now and then.
- Keep yourself properly hydrated throughout the day. Dr. Willie Ong recommends drinking 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- Eat foods rich in potassium, calcium, and magnesium such as milk, banana, potatoes, and nuts.
For more information, hear the tips straight from the doctor in this video below:
Disclaimer: Ang health tips sa website na ito ay hango sa mga artikulong nailathala sa libro, dyaryo, at iba-ibang social media sites ng tanyag na doktor na si Doc Willie Ong. Kami ay naniniwala at sumusuporta sa mabuting hangarin ng ating Doktor ng Bayan.
The health tips on this website are based on articles published in books, periodicals and various social media sites by Doctor Willie Ong. We believe and fully support the good intentions of our ‘Doktor ng Bayan.’