Do you want to have a longer life expectancy? We’re sure that anyone want to live longer. Remember, anything worth doing takes a lot of hard work. Case in point, we should move our body from time to time. When we exercise every day, our heart, lungs, brain, intestines, bones, muscles, and the rest of our body becomes healthier.
Our trusted “Doktor ng Bayan” Dr. Willie Ong listed a guide on exercising taken from numerous medical organizations including Department of Health (DOH), World Health Organization (WHO), and UP-College of Human Kinetics.
According to the Philippine National Guidelines on Physical Activity, here are the important guidelines that you should follow when exercising.
- Before starting your exercise, first consult a doctor to determine your health condition. For senior citizens and those who are sick, ask your doctor first what kind of exercise will suit you.
- Exercises should start slowly. For example, walk for at least 15 to 30 minutes first before slowly increasing the intensity. When you’re exhausted, take a break.
- You should exercise 3 or 5 times a week. Give your body enough rest in order to regain back your energy.
- If you feel muscle cramps, pain, or dizziness during your exercise then take a rest. See a doctor if necessary.
- You will know that you’ve been exercising too much if you feel muscles aches and joint pains. When you also get exhausted, you should stop.
- Drink plenty of water before and during exercise. Drink a glass of water for every 30 minutes of exercise. We sweat a lot during exercise so it’s important to rehydrate.
- Wear the proper attire while exercising. Wear a jacket if it’s cold, or shorts when it’s hot. Make sure your shoes are soft and damage-resistant such as rubber shoes or walking shoes.
- Choose a safe place while exercising. Be careful not to stumble or meet an accident during exercise.
- Always allow your body to get enough rest after exercise. Also, change your clothes and drink water immediately. Don’t forget to eat fruits high in potassium content. Always remember, proper exercise is good for our overall health.
Ang health tips sa website na ito ay hango sa mga artikulong nailathala sa libro, dyaryo, at iba-ibang social media sites ng tanyag na doktor na si Doc Willie Ong. Kami ay naniniwala at sumusuporta sa mabuting hangarin ng ating Doktor ng Bayan.
The health tips on this website are based on articles published in books, periodicals and various social media sites by Doctor Willie Ong. We believe and fully support the good intentions of our ‘Doktor ng Bayan.’